Monday, December 27, 2010

Photographer's Depression

So, again, I haven't posted on this blog in centuries. Why, you may ask? Well, it's the usual slew of things that, culminated together, can be described with one word: Life. More specifically: school (which is my life essentially). Well, that's an easy excuse at least. Recently, I just haven't been in the picture taking "groove". I don't know what it is, but I just don't seem to like the photos I have been taking lately. It's difficult to explain, but it can best be explained like this: basically, when I'm taking pictures, I see the photos I take before I take them. In other words, I can look at something and see the photo I want to take of that something in my head before I actually take the photo; and then I go ahead and take that photo that I see in my head. Make any sense? Maybe? Maybe not? Let me use an example. Let's say I see a snowy landscape with a solitary tree in it. The snow is unmarred by footprints so it is smooth and seamless. There is just the right amount of clouds obscuring the sun so the light isn't blaring harshly off the snow, but there is just enough obscurity of the sun to create a nice even glow on it. It looks like a dreamworld. I see the perfect shot of this solitary tree, coupled with the overpoweringly simple and austere landscape of snow in my head. I go to get the best angle, but when I take the picture I am greatly dissatisfied. I can't seem to take that photo that I see in my head. I can't get it right, and it didn't use to be like this. Maybe I am setting my expectations too high? I don't know. But anyways... I know it probably sounds really weird, and I'm sure you totally wanted to read all of my ramblings, but that's how I've been feeling about my picture taking of late. I don't know what to do about it, but I think I'm going to call this phase I'm in "photographer's depression" and just live with it. I don't know how long it lasts, but hopefully I will be rid of it sooner than later!

Also, I will try to update this blog more diligently in the future, so if you haven't been checking-in on a regular basis because of a lack of posts (and rightly so), rest assured, you can start visiting with more frequency without the fear of potentially seeing a bunch of old posts that you've already looked over a million times (because I know you have! :P).

Anyways, that's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. I say the best way to beat it is keep trying. Resolve to take one picture a day. If you never do it, of course you won't get any better.

    It's good to ramble. It takes the pressure off the brain.

    ReplyDelete